Monday, January 25, 2010

Aftermath

I'm laying in bed writing this.
Been in bed almost all day.

Wow, last night's Treadmill 50 miler was....an experience.

It was like a time warp. During the night, time dragged on like I've never seen. There were times I could swear half an hour had gone by, only to look down and be surprised that just 6 minutes had passed.

No scenery. No terrain change. Just me in the mirror. Joe and I talked very little throughout the night. We were both in our own little world of pain. I saw every infomercial known to man, and then back to back to back repeats of nesn's sportscenter. Awful.

Miles 20 to 45 were a slog. I just couldn't seem to get my head into it.Overall, my attitude was pretty negative, and I'm not sure why. At mile 45, I was so over it that I just went as fast as I possibly could without hurting myself, just to get it over with. I finished feeling more relieved to be done than proud of the accomplishment.

Never thought I'd get to a point where I'd consider 50 miles a "routine" run. I feel like I pushed my mental limits- due to the nature of treadmill running, but physically I feel fine. Sure, the usual ultra stiffness is there, but that's temporary.

The first ultra of the year is always a shock to my system. I think that's why I couldn't get my mental game down. So I'm glad to have the initial shock out of the way. On to bigger things...

krp

2 comments:

  1. Aw,c'mon,dude,it wasn't that bad, was it? I think you drank too many Red Bulls- but maybe that's just me. Anyway, we had a great run- thanks for setting it all up. Next time,though,let's do something that doesn't involve a machine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how you did that! I remember my 5 milers on the treadmill and that was bad enough - now anything over 5 reps in the gym or a 50 m sprint is a marathon to me! Good luck with training my friend.

    ReplyDelete