Sunday, April 26, 2009

I Wear My Sunglasses At Night

It looks like it's going to be another amazing day in Presque Isle.
When training is going well, everything in my life seems that much better.

I took off at 10PM friday night for a little night ride, and ended up putting in almost 50 miles, riding From PI to Fort Fairfield. Fort Fairfield to Limestone, then to Caribou and back to Presque Isle. The average was a little over 16 MPH, which was good considering some of those sustained climbs and the hill workout I did with Von the day before.

That speed is sufficient for a Triple...and may or may not be doable on a flat course for a full day. Actually, in doing the calculations, at 16 MPH, that would land a 21 Hour Bike Split. I would gladly take that. I honestly don't know what to expect when it starts getting ugly out there...which my guess will be somewhere around 15 hours into the bike.

Night training is strange sometimes. You feel really in tune to the world.
Everything is quiet, and it feels natural after the first hour or so.
It amazes me that there's this world that goes on while we sleep, and it's exciting to see it in person. The deer in the fields, the random foxes and skunks. The people driving.
Where are they going at this hour? Are they drunk or just starting their "day" on the night shift?
At any rate, it's a cool feeling to ride directly down the middle of the road of a well-lit ghost town in the middle if the night.

kp

No comments:

Post a Comment