Monday, October 25, 2010

Maybe I didn't realize the longterm implications of the Tentman Experience.

I've just spent the last 5 nights in a Seattle hotel.
Comfortable beds, but wow.

Sleeping in a bed messes with my body. My back is stiff. My shoulder hurts.
Is it sleeping in a bed, or not training much the last few days? I dunno.
I'm just glad I have Northern PT to right all my wrongs. Very excited to get there on wednesday, catch up with Troy and the gang, and get some work done.

The Big Race is but a mere 20 days away. Gotta train REALLY hard this week.

I've done the planning, the training, answered all the questions, and yet... The gravity of what I'm about to attempt has not sunk in yet.

People ask if I'm getting excited. I will generally say yes, but more than anything, the underlying emotion is fear and focus.

I went to the Lake Anna 3x last year pretty much thinking I could do anything I wanted. Limits were found, and my body came apart.

Knowing that I am not invincible has given me a different take from last year as I make my final preparations for Monterrey.

I must be more organized, and more mature in my attitude towards the distance. Respect.
Being crewless, the need to stay mentally sharp in order to feed myself correctly will be critical.
I guess this means less sleepwalking.

Fear and focus.
I think I'm in the right frame of mind.

krp

2 comments:

  1. Good luck man. Maybe you just have to be a bit of an old codger about this. Take everything the race gives you before you ask for more. You see a checkpoint go by .. drink up. You see the other guy stopped by his crew for food ... maybe it's time for you to get a bite to eat too.

    Going crewless? You can do this! In fact so much the better. Crews are for fags anyhow. This much we know. You can do this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I think I'm in the right frame of mind." Yes Kale, I think you were too. You did it!! So happy for you. Can't wait to give you a big 'good job' hug! :)

    ReplyDelete