Saturday, August 1, 2009

Think Negative. 68 days

I'm stiff.

This is my last week of easy training for the next month or so, and today is the last day of this week. Looking back at some of the things I've written in this blog, this is usually about the time I start to make these declarative statements... things I'm going to do or my times for the race.
It jinxes me, and they never get done.

This time, I am going to do the opposite, and write about everything that is wrong.
Perhaps it will further help me put a grasp on what I need to do between now and October 9.

1)My swimming is in the shitter.
When Leah comes back, I can spend less time walking the dog and more time swimming.

2)My butt is not hardened enough yet.
Long rides are on the way though....

3)Not enough all nighters.
At least that doesn't require extra time...it actually creates time to train...hmm. Two birds, one stone...

I gotta say, if that's all I have for negatives, I am fairly satisfied.

My whole race hinges on the 336 mile bike ride. I am not afraid to admit how much it scares me.

So much can happen. How will it affect my back and neck, being hunched over for over 24 hours? What about my ability to walk or run after? At first glance, one looks at the flat course and thinks AWESOME...but then, if you think about it, flat only means that you have to constantly pedal. No coasting. No climbing to change up the muscle groups.
I'm experimenting with a couple different bikes to see what will be the best compromise of comfort and performance.

I think about the bike a lot, and think some more, and then realize I'm ignoring my lifetime mantra...

"Don't think, just do."

kp

No comments:

Post a Comment