Sunday, August 23, 2009

47 Days

Had a great conversation with Pete yesterday about sleep deprivation and training.

We talked about caffeine, pain management, etc...but what I really brought away from the conversation is the fact that in order to finish this, I am going to have to be an anomoly of sorts.

I believe the quote was this:
"Every kid I see come to Lake Anna is a DNF. Unless there are bones sticking out somewhere, you have got to keep moving."
Apparently, the younger guys like me just don't have the mental goods yet to get through that 2nd night. It makes me nervous.
Why has no male under 31 ever finished this event?
Am I missing something? Why do I think I can?

I compare it to getting my first tattoo.
I think, "How awesome to do it...but how much is it going to hurt?"
So many unknowns.

So much going through my head right now.
Am I training right or enough?
Pete seems to think I'm doing well with my sleep deprivation training, but that for the most part has been easy. Am I doing it wrong or something?

I need a confidence booster bike ride before I do this, or I will stand on the start line unsure of myself.
Pete has said that he doesn't do any mega-rides, but as an indivdual, I feel like a I NEED to get a solid 20 hour bike ride in.
Just so I know what it feels like.
Just so I'm not questioning my ablities.
If it's all in your head, I need that extra edge.

"Nothing splendid has ever been achieved except by those who dared believe that something inside them was superior to circumstance."-Bruce Barton

47 Days.

No comments:

Post a Comment