Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Chronic Fatigue and Ratings (94 days)

I am tirrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeddddddddddd.
I'm sure it's spillover from saturday's long bike day and sunday night's long hike/run.
Mix that in with the lack of sunshine, and I am feeling very dreary and unphotosynthesized.

I know it's not a word, but while we may not benefit nutritionally from sun, lack of it sure can have negative effects on us.

Ever since Pete and I chatted, I've been very gung ho. I want to train at the level of those ultra endurance veterans, but my body just doesn't have that huge base yet.
26 is simply too young, and my price for trying is chronic fatigue.

How can I counteract this? Extra sleep would be my first suggestion, but sleep is the enemy right now.
I need to know what mass amounts of aerobic activity on very little rest feels like. Not only that- my body needs to learn how to repair itself on what it gets for rest.

It's going to have to be diet. It wouldn't hurt to cut out group rides, 5ks, and other intensity workouts. It takes too long to recover and eats into my energy for the rest of the week.

RATINGS ON MY PREPARATION 1-10...(1 is bad)
-Swim- 3
Very little swim prep under my belt. I will begin with 2 hour swims in the pool and work up over the next few months in open water as well. I have not been very proactive because 1) the swim comes to you rather quickly with little wear on the body and 2) the swim is only, at worst, 1/12 of the event. I am not underestimating it.
4 to 5 hours is a long time to have your face in the water, and will take a serious toll on my legs if I'm not prepared.

-Bike-5
I have plenty of intensity miles on my bike..but intensity does nothing over 336 miles. The goal from here on out is ridiculously easy mileage and long hours in the saddle.. Culminating in a mid-august ride from Lubec to Kittery in one sitting...either until I hit Kittery or I bonk really, really, really hard.
You know what scares me the absolute most about the Triple? The bike. That's a long time on the saddle.
I know what to expect: the sore neck, the sore hands, the sore butt, and how it feels like your tires are flat when you're pedaling..and how you go to switch into your easiest gear and realize that you are already in it...
The course will be all flat, which means no coasting, which...you guessed it, means full-time pedaling.
No fear, dude. Riiight.

-Run-8
I feel as though I am right where I need to be for every sport, including logging all my hardest and heaviest mileage for running early in the year with plenty of time to recover in the last couple of months..My legs felt great the other night. The real test for my running legs will be my long bike ride in the wee hours of the morning of July 20 before me and Joe Mortland's 40 mile run to Houlton.

-Sleep deprivation-4
This might scare me just as much as the bike ride, because it's all new and completely unknown.
How will my body react to two nights without sufficient sleep and 3 days worth of continuous aerobic activity?

CONCLUSION
I'm coming to a point where I just want race day so that I can stop focusing on unknowns. I'm getting more nervous and anxious with each passing day.
My natural reaction is to go out and figure these unknowns out, but I can't just jump into multi-day bike rides.
I'm doing well at following a natural progression; something I've struggled with in the past.
I'm being patient, and listening to my body. If I can keep it up, I will stay injury free until October, and if I can stay injury free, I can finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment