Sunday, August 22, 2010

Tempting the Triangle




I tempted fate today.
Took my life in my hands, really.

Today, I dared Sasquatch, the Turner Beast, the Leeds Loki, and the Turner Triangle to tangle with me.

Laced up the running shoes and did what used to be my favorite on/off-road bike ride via my own two feet.

Ran up along the south end of Pleasant Pond, where I was disappointed to find that the dirt road ended with a house. No matter.
I bushwacked up to 117, ran down over the hill by the golf course, and linked up with 219 for a few miles.

Ambling past what used to be Twin Bridges Market in Leeds and admiring the new tar, I was reminded of a few nights prior. I was tooling along that road at 1am on a bike ride from Ellsworth to Turner, and happened to look over and see a nice buck with super long tines on his rack. Pretty awesome.

I hit the crossing of the powerlines and took a right, and followed them all the way to the intersection, where I could've gone to Landry's store, Addington Hill, or the Androscoggin River. I chose river, bub, hoping I wouldn't have to swim across to get back onto the Turner Flats.
Sure enough, I took the trail that dumped me out on the river. A trail went to the left, but a sign said "Keep out"...

Luckily the water was really low. I mucked it along the edge of the river, baffled at how many different types of animal prints were embedded in the sand. Raccoons, squirrels, deer, rabbits, etc. After a 1/4 mile of mudding and some wet shoes and feet, I cut across someone's property until I was on the main road.

Crossed the bridge, jogged down Cobb Road and memory lane as I ran by my aunt and uncle's old place, where I spent a lot of time as a kid. Weird how I remembered the the road and houses being so much bigger then compared to now.

Finished up on the road. 117 and back down Pleasant Pond road. No better way to spend an afternoon.

1 comment:

  1. you're friggin crazy man. i wish i had that kind of time to spend on my passions.

    ReplyDelete