Sunday, March 28, 2010

Pro and Con VT100

Ok.
I'm not back, but I'm semi-back.

I ran on friday night...it was only 25 minutes, but I'll take what I can get right now. Actually, I came back to the apartment and was so unfulfilled that I went out and walked for almost an hour. I guess, in Ultraland, even walking is training too. I'll accept it.
I'd be ignorant if I didn't assume I'd be walking a lot in Monterrey this November.

In retrospect, during the last month leading up to the injury, I fell into a trap I hadn't fallen into in a years. I went too hard, too soon, and took a 3 week hit in training because of it.

I'm not going to Vermont unless I can pull some crazy water workouts in the next couple of weeks.
REALLY want to do Vermont badly, so I need to be rational and not push things too soon out of the gate.
Place rationale up there with balance on the impossible shelf for me this year.
I have the mental wherewithal, but my 27 year old body is too young to handle what I WANT to do.
It could be a frustrating couple of years if I don't do things to a T.

Going back to VT 100, let me plead my case on why I can:
-50 mile Treadmill run, overnight, was 2 months ago to this day. Still have some umph from that run
-Lots of run mileage leading up to the:
-Death Race 3 weeks ago.. 10 hours overnight, mental and strength training for sure.
-All I need to do is a small build in volume over the next 4 weeks with one major long day(doesn't even have to be all running) 2 weeks prior.
There is a whopping 40 DAYS until the VT 100. Almost 6 weeks.

Now that I've talked myself into it, I'll see what Troy at Northern PT thinks.
6 weeks is a long time.

I crave the trail..
No, I don't just crave the trail.
I crave trail gluttony.
-crossed fingers-

krp

4 comments:

  1. Kale, my opinion... Yes, you can start the VT100. you just will need to be very smart about the race. mentally you can handle it, physically you should be able to if you head out really slow and don't race it (if you can actually say 'race it' about an ultra) you will have to enter the race knowing you may have to drop out though. That means if you start to feel pain (not discomfort) you need to stop immediately and chalk it up to a fun experience. furthering an injury right now could seriously derail your training and ability to Tri this fall in Mexico. Alternatively, doing the VT100 could give you a lot of confidence and/or let you know where you are right now.

    i say go for it. Just do it very cautiously. stay near the back and never feel like you're working and see how the body responds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "One workout cannot make an athlete, but it can break one"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, I'm following. I wish I could commit to your crew but just not yet. I did have a stellar time in VA so that's not why I can't commit - just don't know where the nomad will be or what she'll be doing.

    In regards to the VT - good word, Justin. Prepare yourself as you see fit and don't be afraid to stop. I'm sure it took a lot for you to stop when we went snowshoeing and I was proud of you...keep that mindset. You have been blessed with a body that works but that's just it - you've been blessed with a body - one body - that works, so don't take it for granted but don't take advantage of it either. Just listen to it rather than your goals or desires.

    With all of this advice, these questions, unknowns, and worries...I'll leave you with this: "Focus on your hopes, not your fears."

    ReplyDelete
  4. For what it's worth , I agree with these guys, Kale. Howard's quote was especially thought provoking. Now, my question is : If you go to VT, will I have sufficient training to be able to run it with you (or behind you!)? Just don't know yet.

    ReplyDelete