Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Speaking Of...Skiing and Moose

My abs hurt.

Yesterday was a relatively short but intense day.
1 Hour on the bike at 95-100 RPM.
30 minute circuit on weights(heavy on the abs)
30 minute swim
1 hour ski.

Skiing was pain.
Going heavy on my abdominals was great in that it worked a part of my body that is way weaker than it should be, but it made skate skiing super difficult. When skate skiing, you really stabilize yourself with your midsection, and draw a lot of power from that same area when poling. Needless to say, I'm sore today.

Speaking of skate skiing....man, it's about as close to perfect as you can get right now at the NHC. Fast, hard, and just awesome overall.
On Monday I was out there around 8AM, listening to my mp3, just loving the conditions.
I come upon moose tracks, moose poop, and moose pee "basins". That's the only word I can think of to describe these massive holes in the ski trail. I guess the trail is just so icy and hard-packed that when the moose pee, they make these 2 foot diameter holes in the trail.
As I'm wondering the physics of this phenomenon, I look up, and 30 feet away is a huge moose. He went into the brush about 1o feet off the trail and let me pass. It had to be a male..it was too big to be anything else. It's hard to tell right now without their antlers. Even without the antlers, they still seem pretty imposing at 10 feet away!

And speaking of Monday, what a strange day.
I woke up, swam, skied, and came home for a second round of breakfast.
After eating, I felt light headed, and this persisted through the whole day. I stayed in bed all day, and slept 10-11 hours that night. Woke up yesterday- everything was fine.
As I have said before...sometimes, higher training volume than you're used to will hit you pretty hard when you least expect it.

I feel ok today. Sore. I have energy, and I didn't sleep on my shoulder wrong, which I have a nasty habit of doing. I need to stretch.

I just thought I'd put a quick report in.
Gotta go to work!

kp

No comments:

Post a Comment