Thursday, March 26, 2009

Get off the Roller Coaster!

Ever heard the term "diet roller-coaster"?

Well, I never really hold a strict diet, but I can assure you that I'm on the training roller coaster.
It's not that the motivation isn't there. I have plenty- it's just finding time to train.
Every time a new obligation comes up, I cringe...and can only think of how many hours worth of training it's going to cost me.

Maybe I should stick to night training. The problem with this is the resulting sleep debt and inevitable over-training that comes with lack of rest.
I am going to start running on my lunch breaks....doing that 4 times a week will add an easy 2 hours to my week.

The path to fitness is rarely a straight line. There are peaks and valleys mixed with frustrating times and amazing times. I'm currently frustrated, which can only mean that soon, great things will happen.

On the race scene, I'll do a 5k next month to support the local running scene, even though I haven't done any speedwork. It'll hurt, but it will be nice to get out of my comfort zone.
Also, I think I might give the Pineland 50 Mile Run in May a go as well. I barely trained last year and went 10 Hours 29 Minutes, and was the youngest male in the field. At least I'm putting some hours in this year...that race will hurt a lot less as a result, I'm hoping.

Man, thinking back to that race last year...all I can remember is hitting the marathon mark, knowing I was only about halfway done, and just feeling smoked. By mile 4o, I knew it was going to be a long walk to the finish. It was so hot that day... I couldn't walk right for two weeks after. I live for that stuff.

I'm considering riding my bike from Turner to that race just to give myself a little added workout...probably end up being a 11-12 hour day that way. Enough thinking, time to do.
Bike time!

"I know what I was feelin', but what was I thinking?"- Dierks Bentley

-kp

No comments:

Post a Comment